Friday, April 27, 2012

How to make delicious soup

So i promised you another recipe blog and I'm about to deliver. It's Friday which means that for most of you your weekend will be here in less than 1 hour. Here in Indiana it's going to be pretty blustery this weekend. I'm not gonna lie. I'm totally one of those people who always gets frustrated about the weather in Indiana. I mean... how can you not?? When it's hitting 60+ in January and then it's 45 at the end of April?? COME ON! I'm fine if it's just normal wintery coldness and mild spring temps but this is outrageous. But I'm well aware that if I don't like it I can move or just stop complaining. Since I just scored an awesome apartment I guess moving's out of the option so I better just shut my mouth and get on with the recipes.

So as I said earlier... it's cold this weekend here in the War-City. The PERFECT weather to put on your hoodies and your big fluffy socks and throw all this into a crockpot and leave it for 8 hours until dinner. Oh. Yum. This is one of my favorite soup recipes as well as one of my favorite crock pot meals! It's like comfort meets ease and delciousness. Hope you try this one out and as always if you do try it let me know what you think!

***Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
½ cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounce) Rotel diced tomatoes and jalapenos
1 package (10 ounce) frozen corn
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup bell pepper, diced
1 can (10 ounce) Enchilada sauce
2 whole chicken breasts
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

What you'll do:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and ½ cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and chicken broth mixture . Gradually whisk in remaining milk until smooth. Set aside.

In a crockpot, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place the chicken breasts on top of the mixture. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. When you are ready to serve, remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup, mix together. Top with cheese and serve. I topped ours with slices of avocado, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips***

We have some great entrees this coming week here at Crazy Day. Even I get to be in on the action this week (my famous manicotti:). Keep checking the facebook for updates and we look forward to seeing you all next week!

“Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconciles everybody.”-Samuel Pepys

No comments:

Post a Comment